I don’t know about you, but the one thing I want more than anything is a playful interface. I mean, an interface alone is great, but let’s make it a playful one eh? Let’s make it fun. Let’s make it lively, cheerful, impish and a little bit frisky shall we?
Yeah. I want me some of that.
LG are here with “UX 5.0” for their LG G5 and upcoming handsets. The new user interface is will give additional power, convenience and enjoyment to users. It includes the “LG Friends Manager” for detecting, pairing and managing accessories. This will give you a different experience based on the device you’re connected to, so with the 360 CAM it’ll show you photo previews and different shooting modes etc. It’ll also help with the Rolling Bot, which we got to play with in Barcelona…
The user interface for the camera has been improved too, adding a simpler switching system between the regular and wide-angle lens. You now just zoom in and out. There’s also a host of additional features for the 360 CAM and a “pop out picture” system for combining the rear camera lenses on the G5 itself.
Other features include a new home screen, health system, updated always-on system and much more. Full details can be found below.
LG Introduces More Playful and Innovative User Interface ‘UX 5.0’ for G5 smart phone
Karachi, April 22, 2016: With the imminent consumer rollout of the new LG G5, LG Electronics (LG) will also be introducing a new version of its mobile user interface, LG UX 5.0. Designed for a more playful and innovative mobile experience, LG UX 5.0 will offer advanced features and greater convenience not only for LG G5 users but owners of upcoming smartphone models as well.
Based on Android’s latest Marshmallow OS, LG UX 5.0 conveys LG’s philosophy on the future of mobiles. LG UX 5.0 is an enjoyable, enhanced and user-centric UX that supports easy connection for optimal control of LG Friends and delivers a more convenient and powerful experience by adding new functions that allow users to enjoy the G5 to its maximum potential.
“We analyzed the lifestyle of smartphone users to provide a superior mobile experience and greatly expanded the usability with LG UX 5.0,” said Juno Cho, president and CEO of LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company. “LG UX 5.0 and G5 were designed to provide an innovative user experience that reflects the needs of our most demanding customers.”
An Enjoyable UX for Connecting with LG Friends
The highlight of LG UX 5.0 is LG Friends Manager, a versatile application that enables users to easily connect with and control the modules and accessories known as LG Friends. LG Friends Manager intuitively detects nearby accessories for easy pairing with LG G5, easily downloading and installing all the required apps from the Google Play Store. No hassles, no hunting. With LG Friends Manager, the process of connecting the LG G5 to its Friends couldn’t get any easier.
LG Friends Manager generates a different display for each LG Friend. When paired with the 360 CAM, the screen on the G5 will display photo previews and the available shooting modes. The Friends Camera Album in the Gallery enables users to categorize and manage images captured with LG Friends such as 360 CAM and Rolling Bot.
An Enhanced UX for a Powerful Visual Experience
The greatest advantage of LG UX 5.0 is its enhanced support for LG G5’s extremely powerful camera. Image and video capturing has never been so enjoyable with features such as:
• Zoom In & Out – Seamlessly switch between the standard 78-degree lens to the 135-degree wide angle lens by simply pinching the screen.
• Auto Shot – An enhanced version of Gesture Shot, take the perfect selfies with this smart feature which triggers the shutter as soon as the users’ face is recognized.
• Multi View – Captures different angles of images at the same exact moment using the front and rear cameras of the G5 and the LG 360 CAM.
• 360 Wallpaper – Images taken with the LG 360 CAM can be displayed as a 360 panorama, shifting in sync with movements of the G5.
• Pop-out Picture – Combine two images taken simultaneously with the standard and wide angle lens to create a picture-in-a-frame effect.
• Film Effect – Raise the level of effects with this set of filters that deliver an “analog” feel to photos. Use Camera Preview to preview and change a filter on the fly before taking the shot.
A User-Centric UX for Greater Convenience
LG refined its user interface and included several new smart features on LG UX 5.0 to enhance usability and convenience, such as:
• New Home – LG combined its Home Screen with the App Drawer in LG UX 5.0 to simplify the user experience. Users who prefer the traditional style can download the Home & App Drawer directly from the settings menu on the LG G5.
• LG Health – Upgraded for UX 5.0, LG Health provides a Beginner as well as Advanced mode matched to the user’s profile. Start with Beginner and switch to Advanced once your activities reach a certain level, staying motivated along the way with visual details of your progress.
• Always-on – Avoid the hassle of turning on the smartphone display just to check the time. With Always-on, all your key information including the date, notifications and SMS icon are displayed on the screen at all times.
• Smart Doctor – Keep your G5 performing at its optimal level with solutions and tips based on your usage habits.
• World Clock – Enhanced with an attractive graphical user interface, this smart clock displays the time in selected cities around the world and immediately syncs them to whatever local time you set for easy scheduling of phone calls and meetings.
• File Manager – Navigate the G5 as easily as navigating your PC with direct access to any folders or files indicated by the directory path at top. Use the new search filter to find documents, videos and images anywhere on your G5.
• Quick Help – Find answers to any questions about the G5 quickly and easily or request feedback by e-mail.
• LG Backup – Use LG Backup and NFC to restore conveniently from other Android phones and now record conversations from your favorite messenger app.
Diverse Security Method – In addition to LG’s familiar Knock Code, accurate fingerprint recognition is now built into LG UX 5.0 to provide added convenience and security.
The developers behind the Argos Android app were refreshingly frank about their latest update…
Remember that Easter Egg we put in where it looks like you can tap on the search term but you can’t? Funny right?? It was deliberate, honest :(
Yeah, ok hands up on this one, we didn’t think it through. The Material Design feedback had us strutting around with our chests out and talking in the 3rd person like a coding Zlatan…and then the ground came up to meet our faces in a humbling UX faux pas smack down
It’s fixed now and we also put an overflow menu to enable quick return to the home screen.
I’ll be equally as honest about their utterly terrible stock-checking tablets that I had the displeasure of using at their Perry Barr store recently though. They have to be the slowest, dumbest and most unstable units I’ve ever seen.
They’re supposed to let you compare products and find out more information before you tap in the product numbers on much quicker screens attached to the payment systems, but they instead fail to register your finger press and operate so slowly that you’d be better going into the warehouse and checking stock yourself.
Today those with compatible Nexus devices are being treated to the option to upgrade to the Android N Developer Preview 2. I’ve already upgraded my Nexus 6P and will do the same with my Nexus 9 this evening.
This is an incremental update to the Android N Developer preview and the point where the software passes to being beta from being alpha. I can confirm my Nexus 6P feels much more responsive and usable, but there are still a few rough edges (no, not the chamfered edges…).
Full impressions on the Android N Developer Preview 2 later this evening.
Do you have a recent Nexus device? Would you like to live on the Android cutting edge? (no, not the chamfered edge or a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S7…)
Hit up the source link to Google for more details.
I know this has been said before and has been due from earlier this year. But listen, the word from the company’s co-founder Carl Pei is that the update is in the final stages of testing. They’re still not committing on a date, citing that there are other parties involved in the project and hence couldn’t give a date. He does note that the update will be arriving very soon for the OnePlus owners.
So folks hopefully your OnePlus should soon be sporting a fresh look… We hope!!